Why the Egg Shortage in Colorado?
By Melissa Moore on January 3, 2023
Going to the grocery yesterday I was shocked. Shocked to see the price of a dozen of eggs and shocked to find most of the egg shelves empty. What’s going on?
After doing some research here is what I’ve learned:
- The Avian flu hit the chickens hard. Over six million chickens in CO have been euthanized.
- New legislation is causing changes with cages/space for chicken farmers
- The price of eggs is up over 50% from a year ago
- Some stores are limiting you to two cartons of eggs per person
- It could be late Spring until we see prices and inventory adjust
What’s next? Some analysts are predicting that more people will start investing in chickens, chicken coops and backyard egg farming.