Learn The ‘Container Theory’ for Organization
By Melissa Moore on March 22, 2023
If you know me, then you know this: 1. I Hate Clutter and 2. Hate having a dirty house.
In my mind they usually go together. Too much ‘stuff’ leads to clutter and then dust. I am constantly going through my closet, drawers, kitchen and getting rid of things I no longer need or want.
According to organizing expert Dana K. White, she has a theory called the ‘The Container Theory’. In it’s simplest form, it means your stuff should fit into the space in your house.
Here are a few of her main points:
- The size of your closet determines how many clothes you can have.
- The size of your bedroom determines how many dressers you can have.
- And your house determines what a bedroom is – and no other room should change itself to hold the overflow. So the office should not become a make-shift closet space.
- It’s like only being able to spend the cash you have in your wallet. Once the cash runs out – you can’t spend anymore.
- Bottom line, once your closet space runs out, you can’t bring any more stuff into the house without getting rid of something else currently taking up space.
I love this theory! What do you think??